Applied Rationality Workshops
Friday, November 14 – Monday, November 17
(England; in association with CEA)
Saturday, November 22 – Tuesday, November 25
(England; in association with CEA)
Friday, January 16 – Monday, January 19 2015 (SF Bay Area)
Thursday, April 23 – Sunday, April 26 2015 (Boston, MA)
The Center for Applied Rationality is a nonprofit founded to give people more understanding and control of their own decisions and behavior. The techniques we teach are inspired by models of reasoning from probability and decision theory, combined with cognitive science research on how human brains actually work and how we can train ourselves to improve. We at CFAR turn those mathematical and empirical insights into everyday skills (like those described in our rationality checklist) — how to make accurate predictions, how to avoid self-deception, and how to get your motivation where your arithmetic says it should be.
Join us for one of our upcoming immersive rationality workshops, where we’ll be teaching these ideas to a select group of founders, hackers, and other ambitious, analytical, practically-minded people. We’ll explain the science behind our techniques, and lead you through exercises to make sure that you can actually apply those techniques in real life, not just understand them intellectually. For more information, check out our testimonials page, the Workshops FAQ, or see the schedule from a previous workshop.
“Rationality training has given me more mental clarity than I knew it was possible to have.”
Gain powerful insights into…
- How to make more accurate everyday predictions using Bayes’ Rule, a simple but powerful intuitive tool from probability theory;
- How to combine conflicting intuitions from multiple sources, including your gut reactions, your analytic reasoning, and of course the opinions of others;
- The science behind the body’s stress reactions, and skills to make it easier to ask experts for advice, customers for money, or VCs for investments;
- The structure of your own goals and motivations;
- How to redesign and change your own habits;
- How to better delegate tasks to yourself;
- How to learn new skills faster;
… and lots of other hot topics that aren’t on the schedule because you’ll learn about them from other participants.
The workshop includes three full days of training sessions and an optional (but recommended) day for systematic review and practice. The total cost of attendance (including lodging, meals, and six weeks of follow-up) is $3,900 USD ($3,400 for those who are unable to stay through the last day). Payment plans are available, as well as a limited amount of financial aid, and the amount you pay in excess of $2,000 is tax deductible. And if you conclude the benefits to your happiness and effectiveness don’t recoup the investment, we’ll refund your money.
Some relevant numbers…
- 9.3 average response, from past participants, to the question “0 to 10, are you glad you came?”
- 96 hours of full immersion in the style of Foo camp
- 8 instructors available before and after class to discuss applying the material in your life
- 6 weeks of follow-up: one-on-one weekly phone calls and regular emails to integrate your new skills.
“I’m thrilled to see an organization that teaches entrepreneurs about the many thinking errors that can kill your business. The CFAR retreat I attended was packed with useful information that I still reflect on regularly.”
Or, talk to us first.
Click here and choose “free consultation” to talk to our staff.
Check out our past clients:
“It was packed full of thinking tools I’ve been explicitly applying in my business and personal life since the workshop finished.”